Saturday, February 7, 2009

School, school and more school

Okay, I'm finding it a little hard to keep up with this. It seems everyone else is constantly posting new blogs; I will try my best to keep up the pace.

I started my last semester of school! Yay life. I am taking statistics; I was incredibly nervous but all my fears disappeared within the fisrt 30 minutes of class when I realized my professor is an incredibly old man who loses track of what he is saying and wants us to know everything that he has every learned and is committed to making sure everyone earns an A or B...should be interesting.

A great quote from my stats professor, "I am confident I can learn anything you are able to explain." And really that is usually the issue; its not how difficult the material is, its just how good you are at explaining it. If someone is not learning the info, you need to reevaluate your instruction.

My other class is about social skills and it is great. The professor is a principal at an behavior unit and she has some great insight into students who have extreme behaviors. Students with emotional behavior disorders do not value the same behavior as adults and teachers such as being considerate of others, disagreeing with adults appropriatly, and several others. Punishing the behavior out of the kid is not the answer; the only way to make long term changes in the childs behavior is to help them see the value in those behaviors that you are asking them to use.

Anyways...I thought is was interesting...

1 comments:

dlriley said...

I like the idea of your behavior class. Maebeth and Richard have done something different with Evan that really works. You'll have to ask her about it. His teacher sent a note home with some problems she was having with him and Richard suggested that Maebeth tell her about the way they have been dealing with his temper tantrums. I wish I had been smarter when I was raising you girls. There so many thing s you can do with kids if you just think it out.